Saturday 2 January 2021

Happy New Year Dial Up Family!

 

Happy 2021 Everybody!

2020 has been an incredibly difficult year, especially for people working in the Arts. I was really upset that the Watford Dial Up, having only just been re-established at the Palace Theatre in January 2020, was forced to come to a crashing close in March due to coronavirus. A lot of my creative projects came to a halt, as they did across the sector, and I only hope that those artists who found themselves struggling and those projects which were forced to stall are given the opportunity and support they need to flourish in 2021.

One project that did manage to go ahead was the Watford Fringe Festival. It was a triumph of will and a bastion of brilliance on what was an otherwise quite bleak horizon. I was delighted to take part as a reviewer for the first time, and look forward to continuing that role in years to come. I was also able to continue my volunteering work as President of the Humanist Teacher Network, participating in an online Sacred Space discussion, and did a few online interviews as a writer talking about my books His Hidden Wings, Wendy the Whale and Black Iris.

The vaccines seem to promise a brighter year, and I for one eagerly await my double dose! I urge anyone who's feeling nervous or unsure to look to the science. The vaccine offers us the best route back to a safe, secure and flourishing society in which our artistic endeavours can once again be enjoyed in the real world as well as in virtual spaces.

So what does 2021 hold? Top of my priority list is finding a way to bring The Dial Up back, so stay tuned! But also, while such gatherings are impossible, I hope to spend more time writing, reading, painting and singing. One thing I will always be grateful to the lockdowns for is encouraging me to finally forge the time and discipline to practice my jazz piano. I'm very determined to keep that up!

No matter what your ambitions, hopes or resolutions for the coming year, I just want to take this opportunity to wish you, your family and friends, every happiness and success. I look forward to giving out some huge hugs as soon as circumstances allow!

Much love to all of you! Yours, Alex xx

No comments:

Post a Comment